Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Favorite Hair Products

I usually hesitate to give my favorite products because they periodically change, but as of now, here is my list:

Shampoo - Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Shampoo

Conditioners - Aubrey Organics. I like them all, but may favorite is Jojoba & Aloe Desert Herb. I use this for deep conditioning before washing (according to the instructions). I also love Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner and I use that after washing and while detangling.

Leave-In Conditioner - Right now I'm loving Alba Leave-In Conditioner

Moisturizer - A mixture of Vegetable Glycerin with Rosewater. I probably mix about 2 parts of Rosewater to 1 part of Vegetable Glycerin. I also like to add a couple of drops of Rosemary or Basil Essential Oil.

Then I have products I use for specific styles. One of my favorite styles is what I call a "fluffy twistout" (see pic on the right). It's just a twistout made from large twists, but I use a product that doesn't have a lot of hold, so my hair is soft and fluffy. The downside to this style is to keep it fresh, I need to retwist it each night, but I don't mind because I love the style and because the twists are large, it doesn't take that long. My favorite product for this style is Jane Carter Solution Twist & Lock, but it's pricey so I also use Carol's Daughter Loc Butter (not as good, but ok) for that style and when I retwists it at night, I spritz it with my vegetable glycerin & rosewater mixture.

For twists, I'm currently using Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme. I like it because it holds my twists without making them hard. I'm not excited about some of the ingredients (it includes mineral oil) and in my opinion, it's too expensive (about $58 for 16oz jar, so I'm looking for something else. I also like Jane Carter Solution Twist & Lock for this style too, but that's also pricey for a small jar, but has better ingredients. When I wear my hair in twists, I also moisturize daily using Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Leave-In.


Other honorable mentions - Kinky-Curly Knot Today is a really good Leave-In Conditioner and Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle is a good conditioner that I use for co-washes. Giovanni conditioners are also very good. Tea Tree Triple Treat is their instant conditioner and Direct Leave In is their leave in condition. Both are really good.


Unfortunately, you'll have to try various products to find out what works best for you. That could be expensive since natural products (if you chose to use natural products) are more pricey than the grocery store stuff. Personally, I've tried some of the cheaper items and they don't work as well in my hair except I like the Suave conditioners for co-washing, but I like the Trader Joe conditioner better for that. If you were like me and spent hundreds of dollars for different styles (for me, it was micros), the cost of natural products is nothing by comparison. Also, I love styling my own hair and not having to run to the shop when it was time for a new do.


Cheap tip - I get some of my products (Aubrey Organics, Alba, Giovanni, Rosewater) from Vitacost.com. It's much cheaper there and shipping is only $4.95, so I order in bulk.

6 comments:

  1. Found your blog via a pic on the Natural hair group on facebook. Good stuff!! Am following and looking forward to more posts!!

    www.tatus-welle.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tatus - thanks for the follow! I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. I'll check out yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried Alba Leave In Conditioner and I love it. I bought it from iherb.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, Alba is great and you can find it cheap. I recently heard about iherb. I did a price comparison between them and vitacost and for most of the products I checked, vitacost was slightly lower. Maybe you should check it out - those cents add up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its a wonderful thing that you are embracing your natural hair, its beautiful. I am a white girl with lets say ' hair that has its own ideas' its not straight , its not curly, i try to curl it it flops I try to straighten it it kinks. The media telling us we should dye our hair and put chemicals on it is not a good thing. I have stopped fighting my hair and ironically everyone is telling me my hair looks ' nice'. my good friend went to a shop and got told she couldn't leave with her hair ' natural ' afro. yes, love has to start from within, within our selves, within our communities. we were made by God and God does not make mistakes. he makes differences, and those differences we should celebrate for without them the world would be full of robots x

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous - Thanks for posting a comment. Congrats on your decision to stop fighting your hair! You're absolutely right. We have spent so much time and energy trying to get what we don't have that we haven't spent any time appreciating what we do have. It's these special characteristics that make us unique and make us stand out in a crowd. There is definitely power in realizing that and rejecting the media's images of what we're supposed to look like.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete